Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) Release A

My objective is to use Enterprise Manager to move (copy) my SQL db from the server to my windows desktop computer.

I downloaded MSDE and am having trouble installing it, no doubt because I do not understand the documentaion (ReadMeMSDE2000A.htm).

When I try to run setup, I get that message that says:

"A strong SA password is required for security reasons. Please use SAPWD switch to supply the same."

Considering my purpose, do I need a "strong" SA password? If not, how do I get around it? If yes, how do I set it up?

I am a Mac user so I have poor windows skills, please make it as painless as possible for me, thanks!

RonCreate 2 file in the same director with setup.exe

1. Setup.bat
setup.exe /settings Settings.ini /L*v C:/MSDELog.log

2. Settings.ini
[Options]
SAPWD=YourPassword
DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0
SECURITYMODE=SQL
DATADIR="C:\MSDE"
TARGETDIR="C:\MSDE"

Run the setup.bat|||I have tried your code and other code like that and in each case it fails. I keep getting this error message that says:

"The instance name specified is not valid."

Note that your code didn't even use the instance name.

In your code you use:

DATADIR="C:\MSDE"
TARGETDIR="C:\MSDE"

Actually on my C drive the folder is called MSDERela. I tried changing your code to indicate that and it still doesn't work. Same error message.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!|||I added the INSTANCENAME and added quote marks to some of the code and it seems to have worked. It produced a folder on my C drive wtih a number of files in it.

Now can someone tell me how to launch MSDE?

Now you know why I call myself SQL_Dummy!sql

No comments:

Post a Comment