Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Microsoft Search service can't start after SQL2005 installation!

Hi everybody I had a server with SQL2000 Standard on Server2003 Standard
working, but I was told to uninstall and install SQl2005 Standard, but now
when I start the server I receive an error saying that a service could not
start, I went to see what service the server was talking about and it was
the Microsoft Search service. The error says that the specified file can't
be found, so I went to "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\System\MSSearch\Bin\mssearch.exe" and the file mssearch.exe is
missing!!!
Was it the uninstall of SQL2000 that screwed this up, or the installation of
SQL2005?
I dont know what to do from here, what can I do?...Any help would be
appreciated.
Thanks in advance..Hi
The version numbers in your post seem to be inconsistent!
I assume that you have removed SQL 2000 and only have a named instance of
SQL 2005. If you want the instance of SQL 2005 to be the default instance yo
u
will need to install SQL 2005 again anyhow, and possibly remove the named
instance of SQL 2005 if it is not wanted. If you want to reinstall the
current named instance you can install it from the command line with the
REINSTALLMODE=OMUS option see
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/li...x#reinstallmode
REINSTALLMODE=O will replace the missing file, but it would probably not do
any harm having the other options.
John
"PG" wrote:

> Hi everybody I had a server with SQL2000 Standard on Server2003 Standard
> working, but I was told to uninstall and install SQl2005 Standard, but now
> when I start the server I receive an error saying that a service could not
> start, I went to see what service the server was talking about and it was
> the Microsoft Search service. The error says that the specified file can't
> be found, so I went to "C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\System\MSSearch\Bin\mssearch.exe" and the file mssearch.exe is
> missing!!!
> Was it the uninstall of SQL2000 that screwed this up, or the installation
of
> SQL2005?
> I dont know what to do from here, what can I do?...Any help would be
> appreciated.
> Thanks in advance..
>
>|||I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear, what I did was uninstall SQL2000
and afterwards install SQL2005 on the same machine (WindowsServer2003).
"John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:82ECF7F8-D4A2-4213-9A68-76656BC41C79@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Hi
> The version numbers in your post seem to be inconsistent!
> I assume that you have removed SQL 2000 and only have a named instance of
> SQL 2005. If you want the instance of SQL 2005 to be the default instance
> you
> will need to install SQL 2005 again anyhow, and possibly remove the named
> instance of SQL 2005 if it is not wanted. If you want to reinstall the
> current named instance you can install it from the command line with the
> REINSTALLMODE=OMUS option see
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/li...x#reinstallmode
> REINSTALLMODE=O will replace the missing file, but it would probably not
> do
> any harm having the other options.
> John
> "PG" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment