Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Microsoft SQL SERVER 2000 not working!

I'm unable to gain connectivity to two stand- alone PC's having WIN XP PROFESSIONAL, v. 2002, through Microsoft SQL SERVER 2000. :eek:

Both the PC's are stand-alone and have both have WIN XP PROF. I installed Microsoft SQL SERVER 2000 in which only the Client Components were successfully installed.

I have the Administrator Rights on both the PC's.

The Problem on both the PC's that I'm facing is as follows:-

On starting SQL Server Enterprise Manager, the PC was not detected as a Server under the SQL Server Group, and thus I selected the option 'New SQL Server Registration', then I gave my full computer name (as appears in the properties of 'my computer'), selected Windows Authentication and then selected OK to start or connect.

It did not connect and then I got the following error message:

--------------
A connection could not be established to 'COMPUTER NAME'.

Reason: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

ConnectionOpen(Connect())

Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration property (by right click on the COMPUTER NAME_node) and try again.

OK

--------------

On starting the SQL Query Analyzer, firstly the message connecting to 'COMPUTER NAME' was seen and then it also gave the following error message:

--------------
Unable to connect to server 'COMPUTER NAME':

Server: Msg 17, Level 16, State 1

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory] SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

OK

--------------

where the 'COMPUTER NAME' stands for the name of the particular system that can be seen in System Properties-> Computer Name-> Full computer name.

I had installed the MDAC Components from the Windows Update website.

I checked the registration properties and have tried many times but everytime the same error messages were received in both the systems and all the efforts bore no fruits.

Both the systems are:
Intel P4
WINXP PROF. v2002
128MB DDR RAM
40 GB HDD

Please help soon as I am studying SQL Server!

THANKS. ;)You can only install client tools on a XP professional machine, but not the database (server part) itsself. You have to install the database on a Windows 2K(3) Server system. Another solution is to use the SQL Server 2000 developer edition, which can be installed on XP computers.|||Alternatively install MSDE!|||MSDE is a good alternative to use instead of the SQL, but probably not the best choice if you want to study on the functionalities of the SQL Server and its tools as MSDE does not have the graphical interface.|||This is true Johan.
However in the absence of a server product and with client tools already installed it'd be better than nowt.|||I was able to install the same on my PC having WINXP HOME, then why not on the other two systems, also having WINXP PROF.

THANKS TO ALL HELPING MEMBERS - ATISH ;)

"Compatibilty without Flexibility is a Liability." :up:

My System:
MODEL: COMPAQ PRESARIO 6171AI
INTEL P4-1.9 GHZ
256MB + 256MB(SIMMTRONICS) = 512MB DDRSD RAM
40GB MAXTOR 6E040L0 HDD
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION
[5.1 (BUILD 2600) SERVICE PACK 2. RC 1 v.2096]
SOUNDMAX INTEGRATED DIGITAL AUDIO|||Sorry Atish does that mean you got it working.
See http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/sysreqs/2000/default.asp for required specs.

J|||I actually have that setup in my house without a problem. Are you sure that the two computers can see each other? And you said that you registered the server with just the computer name? Make sure that you have the [computer name]\[named instance of the server]:
e.g. MyComputer\MSSQL2K...|||I actually have that setup in my house without a problem. Are you sure that the two computers can see each other? And you said that you registered the server with just the computer name? Make sure that you have the [computer name]\[named instance of the server]:
e.g. MyComputer\MSSQL2K...
The two computers are stand-alone and not networked. Installation is to be done on a stand-alone.|||Sorry Atish does that mean you got it working.
See http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/sysreqs/2000/default.asp for required specs.

J
As you said that even if it gets installed it will not work.

Now that I'm able to:
1. Access and change the SQL Server Properties Page,
2. Use the Query Analyzer for making tables and doing queries,
3. Use the Enterprise Manager for starting and stopping the services of the Server, create new Database, etc.

Now that above all is almost the entire functionality of a SQL Server 2000 that I'm having on my stand-alone PC whose
configuration is as stated under.

When it is installable on my system, then it must be possible to install it and make it work on a stand-alone PC having WINXP PRO which is more advanced.

How to make this possible?|||What version of SQL Server have you installed? Standard, enterprise, personal, developer?|||What version of SQL Server have you installed? Standard, enterprise, personal, developer?
I have installed SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition.|||When you installed it, did you create the instance with the same name as your computer?

I did this once and had to connect to the SQL Server with <computer name>\<computer name>, eg: WinPC1\WinPC1|||When you installed it, did you create the instance with the same name as your computer?

I did this once and had to connect to the SQL Server with <computer name>\<computer name>, eg: WinPC1\WinPC1
I did not have to do it. Installation took it by default, i.e., (LOCAL)|||can you provide the output of
Select @.@.version
GO
Select Serverproperty('Servername'),
Serverproperty('Edition'),
Serverproperty('Engine Edition'),
Serverproperty('InstanceName')
go

from the Install which is working. I highly doubt it is Enterprise Version|||can you provide the output of
Select @.@.version
GO
Select Serverproperty('Servername'),
Serverproperty('Edition'),
Serverproperty('Engine Edition'),
Serverproperty('InstanceName')
go

from the Install which is working. I highly doubt it is Enterprise Version
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.194 (Intel X86) Aug 6 2000 00:57:48 Copyright (c) 1988-2000 Microsoft Corporation Desktop Engine on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2, v.2096)

CPQ81732947724
Desktop Engine
NULL
NULL


The above is the output of the Query.|||I thought so..

If it was installed with Ent Edition CD it would show result like this

Server_name
Enterprise Edition
3
Null

BTW there is a typo 'Engine Edition' is one word "EngineEdition"

Seems like you have MSDE Installed or you have a personal edition installed or you may have developers edition

Usually the MSDE comes with Visual Studio stuff if I remember correctly|||I thought so..

If it was installed with Ent Edition CD it would show result like this

Server_name
Enterprise Edition
3
Null

BTW there is a typo 'Engine Edition' is one word "EngineEdition"

Seems like you have MSDE Installed or you have a personal edition installed or you may have developers edition

Usually the MSDE comes with Visual Studio stuff if I remember correctly
But I am dead sure that I have installed it with an Enterprise Edition CD and I don't know whether MSDE can be installed even on installing Enterprise Edition that too with an SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition CD!|||You need to look on your CD. It probably has multiple versions. You definitely don't have Enterprise Edition if that's what it showed.|||You need to look on your CD. It probably has multiple versions. You definitely don't have Enterprise Edition if that's what it showed.

I only have the 'exe' of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition CD from which I have installed my SQL Server. This can also be verified from the screen-shot/Print Screen view that I have attached with this post named 'Installation.JPG'. That is the utmost I feel I can provide to prove that I tried to install from Enterprise Edition CD. :)|||Please take a note of the installation. Images further to this attachment will follow in the next post.|||In continuation to the last post!
Further images contd. in next post...|||Please take a final look into what has been installed!
Now can anyone tell that even inspite of having installed from purely an Enterprise Edition CD how has MSDE been installed on my system from the same installation and how is it working.
And even if it is working, how to make the same thing work on the other PC that I had mentioned about, in the earlier posts in this thread, having WIN XP PRO.|||:) I missed the XP PRO part earlier. The only thing you are installing when you use this machine is the client tools (Query Analyzer and Enterprise Manager). You are only seeing MSDE because it was already installed.

You cannot install the Enterprise Edition on XP PRO. You will need to buy the Developers Edition or just continue to use MSDE. If you want it to work on another XP PRO machine, you can download the MSDE version of SQL Server from:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/downloads/default.asp

You can then install the Client tools from your CD.|||:) I missed the XP PRO part earlier. The only thing you are installing when you use this machine is the client tools (Query Analyzer and Enterprise Manager). You are only seeing MSDE because it was already installed.

You cannot install the Enterprise Edition on XP PRO. You will need to buy the Developers Edition or just continue to use MSDE. If you want it to work on another XP PRO machine, you can download the MSDE version of SQL Server from:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/downloads/default.asp

You can then install the Client tools from your CD.
How did MSDE got installed on my machine when I didn't do it myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment