Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Microsoft search service kills SQL 2000 server

Hi all,

This may be more of a Sharepoint or server question but I thought I would post it here to start off with. I have an installation of SQL 2000 SP4 and sharepoint services 2003 all on one server. For example the SQL 2000 (SP4), sharepoint and its indexes all on the one server (HP G4 DL380). I have installed the index service and the full text services on the SQL server then configured searching in sharepoint. The search worked fine for about a year until one day the server started randomly hanging for no apparent reason. After a hard reboot the server would begin to hand again after around 2-3 minutes of being online, sometimes less. After lots of problem shooting I nailed it down to being the Microsoft search service that caused the issue. Basically if I set this service to manual and boot I have no problem. As soon as I start the service the server will start to hang about 2-3 minutes later.

I tried this again last night after trying some fixed and got the same result. The only error I get are in the application log which are about 4 of these with different file types.

One or more documents stored in image columns with extension “X” did not get full-textindexed because loading the filter failed with error '0x1'

The server continues to log messages while it is hanging and you can ping the server but you can not access sharepoint, remote in to the server, you can login locally but as soon as you try anything like bring up the start menu all resources will freeze up. During this time there is no disk activity and the CPU usage is 1-3% and mem usage is low.

Can anyone suggest anything to fix this problem so I can start the Microsoft search service and use search in sharepoint again.

Thanks,

LS

I've moved this into the general engine thread since the question is in no way related to Broker.|||Thanks. Sorry for the misplacement.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment